I’m honoured when I’m asked to speak at book clubs, or to talk about writing to non-literary clubs. I welcome the chance to engage either with my own readership or with people who are interested in the uphill road to publication. My talks are light-hearted, sprinkled with anecdotes, and hopefully informative. Audience interaction tends to be high!
Talks can be adapted to individual needs, but normally follow the format of:
- My own path to publication, from imperfect words to polished manuscript, and from manuscript to agent to book deal,
- A perspective of the publishing industry in the age of Amazon and widespread ‘indie’ publication,
- Some thoughts on ‘genre’ and the industry marketing machine,
- The craft of writing, from initial ideas to final editing,
- “I never knew you were like that!” Some amusing reactions to a published author.
I can bring visual aids and a projector if required.
If you would like to discuss a book club or other speaking engagement, please email me via the ‘contact’ page. I’ll respond as swiftly as possible.
My existing speaking engagements with a writing theme are as follows. Where these are for a ‘closed’ group such as a book club, the specific dates are excluded in the interest of home security. Full details, where possible, are given for literary festivals and other, public engagements.
21 May, CHALFONT ST GILES LITERARY FESTIVAL. See here for details.